Ariane Soft PPL2 Pocket Programming DataMite

Go Back   ArianeSoft Forums > PPL version 2 > Support

Old 09-19-2009, 04:13 PM

Default one title alone doesn't fit

PPL 2 has still many teething problems, I have encountered so many of them I'm quite sure to forget telling now a few:

category PPL 2 Demo:
1. the welcome isn't correctly shown after you resize it at one side and scroll afterwards. it also looks as whole a bit disordered (more items on the right side than on the left). don't forget to give the user manual and tutorial book buttons a function.
2. you should make a hint in your installation which advices to install Active Sync before PPL 2, so the mobile part get also installed. or you add an option to install the mobile part later.
3. you should overwork the project demos, nearly the half doesn't work properly:
IfElse: combobox.text only returns "combobox" and not the written value
ListBox: the Set button can't change the selected item, since ListBox.itemtext = any value doesn't work
GroupBox: the items in the GroupBox aren't correctly shown, they appear only completly as black boxes
TextEditor: the ToolBar graphics are invisble and the menu buttons have no function except close. you can only cut,copy and paste with keystrokes, but the keystrokes for eg. new file don't do anything, too.
Dialogs: the compiler returns the error: PFILELIST not found at speficic code line.
4. there is also in every project your runtime path still saved, so when we run one project, we get the message the runtime is not found, although the default runtime path is correctly adjusted.
5. concerning mobile: your cab installation does some strange settings for file associations, the command path for .ppc files is set up broken and .ppl files get associated to pocket word.
6. although I corrected the associations, I can't run a project from the pc on the mobile device. the file gets transfered (at least I know it for compiling), but nothing happens on the device after the pc transfered it. if I run a ppl file manually on the device it works.
7. why do you put PPL2.exe in the startmenu when it has no real functionality?
8. a easy accesible quick guide would be good, where is shortly described where you find demos, how to run a file ... etc.

category PPL 2 general:
9. the debug mode isn't stopped automatically after you exit a running program, is this intended?
10. you can't open two new empty code files in a series, if you don't rename the first before you add the next.
11. PPL makes for every file you open in the explorer a new instance, wouldn't it be more compfortable if a new opened file would add itself as tab to the existing window? a drag&drop feature in this context would be also helpful
12. save as code template doesn't do it's job.
13. the old skeletons like GameAPI and WinAPI are still needed for manual coding, where are they hidden in PPL 2?
14. code files for forms get now quite long, because each parameter for each control has a own code line. how about hiding code lines between begincreating and endcreating by default in the same way like you can hide functions? you don't need to change params that often.

category programming:
15. a bug I found with 1.53 on ppc, works with 2.x:
PHP Code:
#define HELLO -3

a$=-3;
case(
a$)

HELLOshowmessage("hello");  
end
16. general problem with compiler directives of variables in combination with objects/structs:
PHP Code:
#define TEST s$

proc main
  struct
(TEST"a""b");

TEST.a$=55;

showmessage(TEST.a$);  
end
I think that was it for now, there might be more to follow hope this helps you kornalius and not makes you crazy...
Old 09-20-2009, 02:26 AM
Administrator

Default Re: one title alone doesn't fit

Please send these to me in an email next time. Thanks for the hard work on testing the demo. Some of your points are not real problems but things you would like a certain way I will go through each point and answer or fix what needs to be fixed.
http://www.arianesoft.ca
Old 09-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Ok, went through your list, line by line:

1. Redone the whole welcome screen.

2. Added an installation notes Read me dialog to PPL 2 Demo and WinMoSDK setups.

3. PPL 2 Demos
- IfElse demo fixed.
- ListBox demo, type McLovin in the edit box than hit Set button. This is what it is suppose to do.
- GroupBox, the items show fine here, I wonder if it's because of XP or the number of colors on your desktop. Even at 16bits it works fine here.
- TextEditor, I have fixed the code generation. However this demo is not finished, none of the menu items points to any code. We had the intention to produce a video out of it.
- Dialogs, the Files components are not included in the demo, I will fix it.

4. Fixed. When you open a project that has not been created on your machine or the runtime folder does not exists, folders in the preferences are used.

5. Can you please tell me what was the problem with .PPC file associations.

6. .PPL files point to PocketWord by default. .PPC files should point to PPL.EXE.

7. I have removed the PPL2 shortcut.

8. Would be nice but we cannot do it at this time.

9. Is that happening on the PPC device only? On the PC here it works fine.

10. It does this by default, I can turn it off. Ok, makes sense, turned off.

11. PIDE2 permits only one instance now and files opened from explorer will be loaded in that instance. Dropping files on PIDE is supported but under Vista and Win7 it will not work due to UAC.

Will work on the rest tomorrow...
Old 09-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Administrator

12. Fixed Save as Template... It now forces the creation of all folders in the pathname.

13. Everything is still there but it is in \My Documents\PPL2\Runtime\Lib

14. This is not possible. Anyway the generated code should not be modified by the user.

15. This bug will work with 1.60 then if it works with 2.x, since the compiler code base is shared between the two versions.

16. This won't work for TEST.a$ since it will convert to s$.a$. Even then, it is not possible to use defines in variable names.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:14 PM

first thank you for your fast reaction and you are right, those are less problems than I assumed. can you specify more precisely when I should send you an email instead of a post?

regarding..
3. ListBox: maybe Select/Sel would be a more precise caption for the button (at least for me)
GroupBox: it looks more like the content of the groupbox-control isn't repainted properly, because every control else I have tested so far, an empty groupbox and single radio buttons are drawn correctly. is the code for groupboxes open so I can test some things out?

5. oooohh sorry this wasn't a bug of PPL, but of TotalCommander. it has chopped the command path and the parameter with the first blank space. I have installed PPL on the storage card and the first blank space is already after storage, so it has moved the rest off the path to the paramters. in the registry it's all fine
a workaround would be: put the path in ""

9. it happens on the pc if I run it without runtime checks. in a normal run it stops the debugging to my surprise correctly (have run it the most time without checks).

13. yeah the gameapi header file is there, but not the good old skeleton

14. that's a shame, because what if I want to code a form by myself, use the visual generated code only as basis or just take look behind the scenes? I thought it wouldn't a big deal to add this feature

16. mmhh I have to rethink if there are some cases where directives would be more useful than global variables, just realized that this isn't the real case in my actual project.

mobile: I still can't run code from my desktop on the device. the only ways it work directly on ppc : associate .ppl files to ppl.exe and open them or run the created .ppc afterwards.

Last edited by Nicknack; 09-21-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Administrator

In this case the email is long and depict PPL 2 as being full of bugs and unusable, it is pretty bad for business. When your list is long, please email me.

3. ListBox : Good idea, I changed it.
GroupBox: Of course, look in StdCtrls.ppl in PCL\ folder.

5. Strange the path should have the " ". Can you please let me know how it first looked in your registry?

9. Dedicated mode is kind of hard to monitor, it does that by default. It has no way to track if the process is still running. I will look into figuring out a way.

13. Which old skeleton? The one from the Users menu in the PIDE v1.x editor? Will see if I can add the old user menu items in the code editor.

14. It is quite hard, sorry.

mobile: I have you tried putting ppp_peer in Tools -> Preferences -> Debugger -> Mobile_IP ? The Mobile_Port should be over 1000, something like 1002 should work.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:43 PM

as you already said, those weren't many bugs and now they see how fast you react to our reports. if I like to check if a software has many bugs I would read the changelogs, they give an exact answer

5. in both cases: <the path without speech marks> %1

13. it would be enough for me to have the skeletons as ppl file anywhere. not sure if anybody else use them, so a whole menu could be overkill. as far I understand it I can add them as templates for me.

mobile: I didn't change the settings, so pp_peer is still there. as I already said and now have checked again, the transmisson works, but PPL on the ppc fails. I thought it would give me an error message automatically, that's why I haven't read the device error log yet. now here is its content for a standard mobile form:
Quote:
Invalid character '□' at (1,3)
Syntax error at 'IF' (1,2)
its funny, I can run the ppc file on the ppc without a problem (except the □□ menu issue) if I compile it as release in the mobile menu on the desktop. but only as release, it appears the same error as described above if I compile it normally.

Last edited by Nicknack; 09-22-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Please contact me via MSN (kornalius@hotmail.com) when you have a chance, I'd like you to get a special debug report for me from PIDE2.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 PM

have sorted out the groupbox issue: groupbox are not intended to have children, so you have to change the creation line to:
PHP Code:
RadioButton1$ = new PRadioButton(Self$,Self$); 
don't forget to change the radiobutton (or what else is put into the box) position to an absolute value or add the values of the groupbox on the relative ones
Old 09-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Please try replacing PPL.EXE by the PPL_WM6.EXE on your device. I believe it has something to do with the executable. Check the menu items when running on the device at the same time and let me know.

If that does anything good, I will add an option to the Project object to select the name of the PPL executable for debugging.