Ariane Soft PPL2 Pocket Programming DataMite
Old 10-18-2007, 12:40 PM

Default PPL 1.3 String Encoding Problem

I've noticed that there is a very nasty bug in PPL 1.3 (the most current version). When i run it on WM2005 device, no matter what i do, it will not display Unicode Characters properly.
The problem wasn't occuring in the previous version of PPL.
Is there a way that i can change the code to Change the "Character Encoding" of the Strings in PPL?
I think this would be very helpful when developing for Chinese language.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:20 PM
kornalius

Can you please elaborate with a very simple code? We have made modifications to the unicode string handling in 1.3, this could be causing the problem but we need more information to track down the problem.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:55 PM

Well, if you goto the "made with PPL" thread, you will see my source code posted there.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:33 PM
kornalius

Hi Kevin, I have reverted back to the original unicode check routine that was used prior to version 1.30. It is really giving me headhacks. There is no real way to determine a unicode string from a normal string. I have tried many solutions but none would work 100%. The previous approach in older releases worked better I guess.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:59 PM

well, the code should be easy to adjust. Rather simply, the only textbox that needs a unicode character is the one that the chinese character goes into. The others can just use standard unencoded text. I'm just not sure how to use unicode strings.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:18 PM
kornalius

Sounds simple but it is not. PPL internally verifies if a string is unicoded (char(), wide(), iswide(), apichar()) then converts it automatically. I should not have gone that route in the first place but now it is kinda late to go back.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:23 AM

*Sigh*
i suppose this is the end of the development cylcle for my PPL project then. LOL. Ah well, i did learn a lot about PPL doing it though. My next project will be a JavaScript/DHTML version of the flashcard program. Though i'm planning on integrating the flashcard editor (never quite finished it in PPL) into the SPA (single page application - similar to TiddlyWiki).
However, i still think that maybe PPL can be a good programming environment for making a new AIML interpreter
Old 10-26-2007, 12:10 PM
kornalius

Maybe you didn't understand me right? I am fixing it! It was broken up until now, don't you want to try it first before stopping PPL developments?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:09 PM

oh, i won't stop PPL development per se, just maybe, focusing on something else. I was thinking about the purpose of my project and it was basicly so that i could study chinese characters on my phone, or on any mobile device for at matter. Howevere there are several mobile devices that only support JAVA (aka java based web browser). I think my source code is publicly available, and i didn't want it to become a commercial project.
I'm thinking that maybe i will just have a sort of "bundle" of Ports. That way it covers every platform. I've rencently been interested in SinglePageApplications, such as Tiddlywiki.
I still would like to integrate the flashcard editor into the flashcard program though.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:18 AM

i'm just curious, do you think that specifying a specific font that is a chinese (east-asian font) would fix the problem?