Ariane Soft PPL2 Pocket Programming DataMite
Old 08-04-2008, 08:36 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Halliday
Talking Too much WINE gives you gout!

Hmmm, not sure why you are still getting the errors.

Check out the images.

1st one is of the properties tab on my PIDE

Then various grabs of PPL running and doing its thing.

Still not able to register the runtimes. I defo think that PPL is hard coded for C:\ (Maybe Alain can confirm this) so this is why it sill not run (Maybe) or is it a registry issue??? - This defo needs more investigation.

I think that because the runtimes are not registering this is the reason I cannot run even the most simple of demos.

Will keep everyone posted as I find more out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIDE-Properties.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	20   Click image for larger version

Name:	PPL-Running.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	21   Click image for larger version

Name:	PPL-LoadedSource.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	22   Click image for larger version

Name:	PPL-UnableToRegister.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	23  

Still developing products using PPL! - Although not as many as I used to!

If you enjoy my PPL applications and want to see many more, or I have helped you in any way; click here to buy me a beer;
Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 PM

While I am playing about with this, I have also submitted it to the WINEHQ forum to see if their developers can trace the issues with PPL.

If you enjoy my PPL applications and want to see many more, or I have helped you in any way; click here to buy me a beer;
Old 08-04-2008, 02:05 PM

Good suggestion re: WineHQ.

Your screenshots demonstrate that it SHOULD work but it still isn't on my end.

Thanks for all of your work on this.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:23 PM

I have had another go at this today and to my dismay it looks like it could be an issue with PPL 1.51

When I ran PPL this morning it reported 1.40 and not 1.51 (Which I thought I had installed)

So I did regedit and zapped the install of PPL, and removed the folders and proceeded to install PPL 1.51 (from the newly downloaded EXE of the forum)

This now does not work, and I get the same error as you do.

I think I might do a fresh VMware install of Ubuntu and WINE, then try it again.

It could be that the differences between 1.40 and 1.51 is the reason why it does not work.

Definately more investigation is needed before a concrete conclusion is reached. Hopefully before we give up on this we will get a responce from WINEHQ with either a total fix or a 'bin it - it will never work!'

EDIT: - There does seem to be a difference in the way PPL 1.51 runs - I have re-installed PPL 1.40 and it now is back to running without compiling.

Last edited by Mike Halliday; 08-04-2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Reporting more findings.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:12 AM

Default Scratching head over this! :(

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

I dont like to be defeated in anything I do, but this is now beginning to get on my wick!

I have cloned the VM Ubuntu and installed it on my development laptop;

1 x Windows XP Host - VMware - Ubuntu 8.04 (Works PC)
1 x Windows Vista Host - VMWare - Ubuntu 8.04 (Home Laptop)

Guess what?? - The Vista Machine reports the same error as PlinyDogg gets!

Another spanner in the works! - Is it permissions, service restrictions, compatibility????

Who knows. - Back to the drawing board for fresh installs I think. - I may even give up and wait until WineHQ give me something useful!

Very strange that it works on 1 host system, but not the other (These things are supposed to be transferrable between hosts) :S

Old 08-05-2008, 07:44 PM

Thanks for trying
Old 08-06-2008, 06:49 AM

I have not given up just yet on this. I will keep coming back to it every so often until a solution is found.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:30 AM

Default PPL and Wine in Linux

After some investigation I think the problem is with the way PPL requires the runtimes to be registered.

When WINE launches a Windows application it is contained in its own memory space (Ie for the current runtime session), because of this PPL is unable to find the required windows components to allow it to register the runtimes.

PPL appears to require a full installation of Windows before it will work. When I say work, I really mean compile and run code. PPL itself does load under WINE, but thats about it. It will sort of compile your code, but the output is un-reliable.

I was certainly unable to execute any code, due to the lack of registered runtimes.

This is not a bug, it is just to way PPL runs.

Sadly, I am not sure that we will every be able to run PPL under LINUX, unless Alain makes a LINUX compatible version of PPL.

I will keep trying different ways round this problem, so keep watching.

Mike.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:17 PM

I have now completely removed Wind*ws from my machine and run Ubuntu 10.04lts - Its much quicker and more stable and does everything I need without paying MS for a license.

The upside is that all my PPL projects actually work under Wine! - The old newsletters run a treat! (Cant believe its almost a year since I stopped doing them)

Wine will now allow PPL1.60 to be fully installed and it works and allows for editing of your programs and sourecode etc. It will not however run the source code interactively, nor does it compile code that runs under WINE. For some reason, any app I created on Windows XP using PPL1.53 works fine, but anything I create under Ubuntu using PPL1.60 does not work!

Oh well....

Luckily I still have a Windows XP laptop to develop on, and once I have cleared out the office (via fleabay) I will have some time to carry on the development work.

I see that there are not many new posts on the forum. Does this mean that PPL is dying? I hope not!

Last edited by Mike Halliday; 07-24-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Hi Mike,

That is some amazing experiment you did. OMG, 1 year since you have stopped doing the Newsletters? Wow, time flies by so fast.

PPL is still active but dormant. We are working on iPhone games for the time being and hope to find a viable route to take for PPL 3 in the future. We are still thinking in which direction we should take the product.
http://www.arianesoft.ca