Ariane Soft PPL2 Pocket Programming DataMite
Old 11-25-2008, 06:57 AM

Default Function methods etc.

I know it is rather late, with such a large help file, but the future looms.
Please do not misunderstand my intention here, it is NOT criticism (PointOfLight).

I think it would be nice if when for example using LIST or any other function, that the Help file list, on the main LIST page, 'All' methods, attributes etc. that work with it.

At present it seems that some of the methods are not listed with it and so requires some 'mental vocabularic associative agility' (dare I say thesaurus) to think of words that might lead to a function to achieve what is desired.
In this example only add, del, ins are listed.
I might wish to step through the list and think of STEP, aha, alas, no!
I might come across a suitable word NEXT by skimming down the index, but then unless I read that item's help, I won't know whether it is associated or not with LIST.

I think the problem is too few hyperlinks rather than any missing text or description.

I really think this is important to new users until one becomes expert (some as yet unknown considerable time in my case).
Especially when trying to capture their financial support. The 'first one hour' I saw posted somewhere in the forum.

Because there are so many different areas of PPL, many may not be used, even by experts, for several years. Some may not program games at first etc. etc. I guess I have made my point, over to you.

[Edit] I 'may' have shot myself in the foot! I feel an after pain.

Last edited by Donone; 11-25-2008 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:41 PM

after i came across this thread a second time per randomness, i got a little confused:
where is the difference if the methods belonging to list are written directly in the list html-page or written in the list "folder" in the help overview ?
why don't you know if next is belonging to list if it's placed under the list section?
i hope you know there is that tree overview in the help and i'm only misunterstanding you.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:55 PM

I know this doesn't help much with v1.xx, but I think you will find the help file so much more useful in v2.0 that none of this will matter. I don't know how long yet before 2.0 is released, and if I thought / knew there was enough time yet I'd consider reworking some of the 1.x help file stuff, but I'm not sure it's worth it at this point. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it's not worth providing you guys the best help, I'm just saying that with what little spare time I have, I don't know that I could do a retooling of the 1.x help file justice before 2.0 comes out.

And don't worry, Donone. Even if you're comments were meant as a criticism, I wouldn't take offense. The truth is I'm a developer, not a documentation expert. At the time, working on the documentation was what I thought one of the easiest ways I could help Alain and alleviate some of the burden from him. I had no idea what I was in for or what a monster the help file would become. At any rate, it is what it is, and just be happy the 2.0 version will make mine look like chicken scratch on a bar room napkin (at least I think it will)!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:25 AM

Well, all comments noted.
Did you note mine?

Regarding bullets and leg appendages?

I thought that the comment had ended the affair, I would have deleted the post had it been possible.

I blushed immediately I had written it, realising that I had broken the golden rule of carpenters that is the equivalent of "measure twice and cut once".

I hope this makes sense to you.
Thanks for the great Help file PointOfLight.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:56 PM

My whole point was that I don't think there was anything wrong with your post and in fact I agree. There are times that I even have trouble finding things that are in the help file, and I wrote most of it Fortunately, I think a lot of that will be aleviated with the next generation help file, which wasn't written by me.